Wednesday 14 May 2008

Village scenes

The thunderstorm has now passed, and we've had some welcome rain. Tomorrow should be another day with sunshine and perhaps a storm or two. Climate here is so different from the Hebrides, although I was told that the mercury reached the dizzy heights of 70F there earlier in the week. Down here, the day was oppressive and stifling, so the thunder came as no surprise.

Yesterday and today, I took the camera out round the village and snapped away. The result can be seen on two pages on Flickr:

May 13th

May 14th

The Castle and Country Park can be visited for a small fee (6 Euro or £4 / $8). They throw in a tour for that money. I only visited the Country Park (smaller fee), and being a native of the village declined the services of the guide. The Shell Gallery is being refurbished - something planned for the winter, but the presence of bats put paid to those plans. Bats are a protected species, and may not be disturbed. The Country Park also contains what I have translated as Tricky Fountains. Usually, when the guide takes a large group round, he or she will tell the visitors to turn round and look at the castle - whilst the guide turns on the taps. Net result, everybody gets soaked. Small fountains suddenly squirt up out of the tiles. It all works through the force of gravity and the laws of communicating vessels. Remember those from your physics lessons?

In the past, access was free, but the Tricky Fountains were not working. I don't mind paying a wee fee to contribute towards the upkeep. I have left many a footstep in the Park with my mother and father, and it was a trip down memory lane of course. Happy memories. It did help.

The Shell Gallery has a different remit to Northern Trip. The latter was born of a journey through Northern Scotland, scenes of which I'm presently putting on the Net. The Shell Gallery is a memorial to my mother, as I have indicated in the sidebar. In a way it shows that we, like shells, are only fragile.

I am not currently active in J-land, with a few-and-far-between exceptions - I don't have the time, and (more to the point) I cannot afford to give people the attention they deserve. I therefore do appreciate the comments, for which my thanks.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been hot all over Europe lately, I hope it'll last till I go to Italy next week! I fully understand that you can't do the rounds of journals at present. You must do what you think you need to do, getting out and about visiting your home town after your long absence from home sounds a good idea. I spend way to much time on here and will have to cut back very soon. I'm going to look at your new batch of photos now Guido, take care. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

I took a look at your photos and enjoyed them. That tricky fountain is pretty. I would hope they would not shoot high enough to get a camera wet. Helen

Anonymous said...

I'm throughly enjoying seeing your surrounding through the eye of your lens hon. Beautiful place to be...(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Guido, as usual great pictures. Thanks for sharing, Bill

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful country.  I love the Tricky Fountains.  How fun, especially on a hot summer day.  Linda in Washington

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics, Guido!!  I think I've been to Koningsberg.... it looks and sounds very familiar, but it's been so many years, I just don't remember all the places I visited.  Anyway, they're all beautiful pics!!!  Thanks for sharing!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

There is something quite comforting about going back to places that we went to in our past...sometimes that is ,unless, like one of my favourite places back home it is now covered over in housing!! ....did I really once play there in the stream pretending to be fishing ? with the bottle of water..which I assured pals was genuine pop !...ah happy memories. It is good that they can't be taken from us. LOve for now  Sybil xx  

Anonymous said...

Well the weather in London this week has been beautiful, thats up until today and we have typical British weather, dull, overcast and guess what....rain  :o)

The waterfall looks so calming, love the poppy one of my favourites, the chain brudge looks rather scary love the stepping stones and the tea house is adorable. It looks like a beautiful place to visit, very calming and also a place full of wonderful memories ..... Memories that noone can take away from you.

Thank you for sharing these with us. Take care
Jayne

Anonymous said...

It is so lovely to see your pictures from 'home' Guido ,ands to hear that you are keeping busy visiting favourite childhood haunts ,take care Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos.  Love the tricky fountains, but sorry no good at physics. Glad you have happy memories there.
Today we are very cold here, and windy.  Back to jumpers and socks.!!:(
Take care Guido.
Hugs
Carolxx


Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about not having the time to visit everyone.  I am very busy myself, but J-Land is very addictive.  I have met so many wonderful people in J-Land.  I love photography and journaling.  I am so enjoying your photos.  I know your Mom would be very proud that this is a tribute to her.

Blessings!~

Susan