Sunday 18 May 2008

Sunday stroll

North of the village stretches an area of woods and heathland. It is a favourite place for people to come for a walk, ride or race bikes and walk their dogs. The latter is smellably obvious. In the middle stands a 120 ft high structure, which was in use until 1960 as a watch tower to spot heath fires. Since then, this role was taken on by spotter planes. In the 1980s and 90s, the tower was renovated. It has always been a landmark in the heathlands. We set out at 2pm, to return at 5pm. The tower is 4 km (2½ miles) by the shortest route, although the longer route is about 6 km (4 miles). Closer to the village stands a relic of the era of the Depression of the 1920s and 30s, called the Emma Pyramid. It is a high mound of earth, crowned by a wooden look-out post. You used to be able to look out to the east, through south, to west, but trees have obscured most of the view. Nearby is a small memorial to a number of resistance fighters from World War II who were marched there on December 13th, 1944, by Nazi forces (then occupying Holland) and shot.

Weather today was fairly bright but breezy and cool. Visibility was good, at least 15 miles.

Pictures here.

Pictures here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm always impressed by walking paths......we just don't have an excuse to walk here in the US, you know?

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Once again beautiful pictures Guido.  Don't they have rules there regarding picking up after your dog?  Here in the US that's a big no-no.  You see people walking their little/big doggies carrying a plastic bag. However I have a neighbor who lets her 3 dogs out after dark and just lets them run free for a few minutes while she stands on her porch. Frequently they use my front lawn for their toilet and it really fires me up. The bad part is, she's the type of personality I refuse to deal with, like a bomb just ready to explode at all times. So I pick up the poop and keep my mouth shut.  The temp in Seattle hit a new record yesterday~90 degrees.  Have a wonderful Sunday evening.  Linda in Washington

Anonymous said...

More wonderful photos and a very pretty cat too! The pamsies look like the ones I took pics of a few weeks ago here in Brighton, we have them in the same brick enclosure! I'm glad the weather has brightenend for you, it's good to get out and about. Thanks for sharing your home country with us, it's beautiful. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Hi Guido,
I haven't been able to "make the rounds" commenting lately, but I first wanted to extend my condolences are on your recent loss.  Nelishia told me about before I saw it, and our prayers are with you.

Your photos are beautiful!  I love the bit of history you put with it.  Thank you for sharing!

Dirk
http://journals.aol.com/tsalagiman1/the-first-amendment-not-politi/

Anonymous said...

It must be so nice to look up all your old haunts ,your old school looks very grand ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I wasn't the one who had to do the watching, I am terribly afraid of heights!  Am so enjoying your pictures.  Can't wait to see more.

Blessings!~

Susan
http://journals.aol.com/Rjet33/CountryLivingSouthernStyle/

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos as always.
Have a good week.
Hugs
Carolxx